Today I had the privilege to be on a phone call with some of my friends and church leaders to swap stories, share resources and attempt to stimulate some movement toward making a difference.
My colleague, Barb Wooler who is director of Encompass’ Crisis Response Network has been collecting info and shared this helpful list. I’m giving her all the credit…but wanting to circulate this to be helpful to you and those you know!
SYRIAN REFUGEE MINISTRY RESOURCES
· GC2’s Statement: Theological Foundations http://www.gc2summit.com/footnotes/
· Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches (FGBC) Adopted Statement on Immigration & Refugee Debate — Point 5 on webpage: http://fgbc.org/page/63
· David Platt’s Five Points, Gives a Biblical Framework for the Church’s Response to Refugees — recorded Dec. 17, 2015 >> 5 Truths about the Church & Immigrants
· Locally: As World Relief prepares for resettling many Syrian and other Muslim-background refugees (from Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan), they are in need of help including the following (see their Get Involved page):
- “Good Neighbor Teams” (6-12 month commitment to a family)
- Language partners
- ESL help
- people go prepare Welcome Kits
- funding to pay for apartments for refugees
- people to employ refugees
· Internationally: There are a couple different opportunities – one in Germany and the other in Turkey – to help with refugees in camps or processing centers. This will not be firmed up for another month or so. More to come about these possibilities as they develop. Contact Barb if you are interested
· Go on a team through The Syrian Circle – see their website (www.thesyriancircle.com) o
POSSIBLE NEXT STEP
· Attend the GC2 Summit on January 20th at Wheaton College (Illinois), 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* There was also talk that they would be offering Simulcasts, encouraging churches to have “Simulcast Parties” where the event can be live-streamed for a group in your church or community (information on that above link)
Grateful for your partnership in Christ,