This is a list of the “recommended” books and resources that were shared with us during our time in Chad. The hyperlinks to purchase books go to the Encompass World Partners Amazon Storefront, which gives a small percentage of your sale to Encompass (More Info). Enjoy!!!
Online Bibles (especially for Arabic )
Labyrinth of Kingdoms: 10,000 Miles through Islamic Africa – by Steve Kemper
- History of Arabic peoples of Africa, a great help to getting history and worldview
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/0393346234
- Kindle: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/B007HXFGIE
Church Planting Movements by David Garrison
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/0974756202
- Kindle: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/B007Q4TFSQ
- There is a shorter English “booklet” that has most of the principles as a free download at this link: http://www.churchplantingmovements.com/images/stories/CPM_Profiles/cpm_booklet_standard_english.pdf
- Shorter GERMAN translation: http://www.dim-online.de/blog/44-neuauflage-des-booklets-gemeindegruendungsbewegungen
- If you aren’t a reader, but rather a listener…Garrison has broken the content of the book down into audio files (for free): http://www.churchplantingmovements.com/index.php/vertresources/vertaudio
- Note: Muslim Background Church Planting Movements: http://www.churchplantingmovements.com/images/stories/audio/CPM_Summaries/17_Muslim_Background_CPMs.mp3
- David Garrison’s helpful website is http://www.churchplantingmovements.com/
From Seed To Fruit: Global Trends, Fruitful Practices, and Emerging Issues among Muslims by J. Dudley Woodberry (Editor)
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/0878080368
- No Kindle edition
- Book: http://missionbooks.org/products/detail/from-seed-to-fruit-revised-and-enlarged-2nd-edition
- CD-rom: http://missionbooks.org/products/detail/from-seed-to-fruit-cd-rom-version
Where There Was No Church: Postcards from the Followers of Jesus in the Muslim World by Ej Martin
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/098306590X
- Kindle: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/B004A156EU
Miraculous Movements: How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus by Jerry Trousdale
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/141854728X
- Kindle: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/B00759NKOM
David Watson a key leader in finding effective ways for church planting movements (even in Muslim environments)
- Here’s a video where Watson asks: “Have you ever asked someone to die?” Counter-Intuitive Movement Principles: http://www.cmaresources.org/video/counter-intuitive-movement-principles_david-watson-verge
- David Watson’s blog http://www.davidlwatson.org/
Primal Fire: Reigniting the Church with the Five Gifts of Jesus by Neil Cole
- An insightful look at Ephesians 4 and apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds, and teachers
- Book: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/1414385501
- Kindle: http://astore.amazon.com/encompassworldstore-20/detail/B00E1O6VKY
Western Christians in Global Mission: What is the Role of the North American Church? by Paul Borthwick
- “Borthwick has long been a spokesman for being globally mission-minded. This book of helpful and oft times stinging anecdotes communicates succinctly that the North American Church still has a role in global mission going forward. This book contains an important general & global perspective which provides an important contribution to mission literature. This is the type of book that is accessible for anyone who can read in English.” (via @MikeJentes review on Amazon.com) http://bit.ly/KbrCP9
It was a privilege to be asked by our Community of Elders to share with our entire Los Altos Grace family about my trip to Chad. I hope that you were challenged, informed and encouraged by my sharing on Sunday.
If you weren’t able to join us, here is an overview video of the work in Chad (by Encompass). This video is really helpful and you should see it!
Synthesizing two weeks into a few sentences isn’t easy, but here are a few of the things I brought home:
Our Brethren in Chad spur us on!
In spite of poverty, our Brethren brothers and sisters have figured out how to survive, how to spread the Gospel, how to use medicine for the Gospel, how to start churches and more. They have as many churches as we do in the USA!
Mission isn’t about civilization
The economic contrast glared out on my flights between Paris and Chad. Yet we need workers in Paris to make disciples, train leaders and start churches in the same way we need them in the capital city of Chad (N’Djamena). If we can use tools of medicine and education for the Gospel, that is awesome. Living and sharing the Gospel is vital no matter what the “civilization” level of the culture is.
You are Needed!
No matter who you are, as a follower of Jesus, you are needed to continue to sow the Gospel and make disciples. YOU are needed across the street and across cultures as Jesus builds His Church!
I was asked to join a special opportunity with Encompass ( the pic above was drawn by Katja) in the country of Chad. I’m actually at the airport in LA getting ready to depart!
I will have the chance to visit our strong work in the Southern region of Chad with Africa Director Frank Puhl. Also I’ll get to visit a training center, Bible Institute, a hospital as well as the President of the Chadian Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches ( with 250+ churches! More than the USA!).
After that we will be scouting the capital city of N’Djamena for a few days with a team from Akron, Ohio. Please pray for Jesus to show us what He wants to do in advancing His work in that great city.
I’m thankful for the Lord’s guidance and direction for this trip as it will be my first to Africa. From the time I was a little boy, I’ve prayed for Africa, and now I get to go.
I’d appreciate your prayers for me on the trip and for Mindi and the rest of the family at home.